My answer to How do I startup while in college?
Answer by Ken Larson:
Those who are starting out normally seek employment in a corporation to obtain experience and take advantage of education opportunities in parallel. Many seek to work for companies that offer internships which move them around in various departments for exposure while offering tuition reimbursement for related educational courses.
I recommend you think along 3 co-equal tracks in pursuing your goal:
- A position in a company with maximum exposure to the various workings of the company, and internship and educational assistance opportunity to further your knowledge in your field while you are working in it.
- Take courses and develop a skill niche that you feel will be in demand within yout field and focus on that niche during your work in 1 above,seeking assignments in group dynamics, cross functional processes and systems as well as learning theory and best practices.
- Think in terms of an ultimate enterprise combining 1. and 2 above and forming your own firm.
Below is a simple test to develop your potential idea for a business.
- Do you have a product or service niche in mind?
- Do you believe you have a market for your niche and the means to reach it?
- Are you willing to develop a business plan using the tool kit linked below to validate 1 and 2 above before you launch?
If the answer to the above questions is "Yes",use the below planning aids to design your business vehicle and the road map you intend to follow on your journey:
General Planning Considerations
Market Research Guidance
Free Sample Business Plans
When you have completed the above definition and planning process you will then be in a position to astutely select the tools you wish to use along the way and apply them successfully to launch your enterprise.