My answer to What are the characteristics of successful entrepreneurs?
Answer by Ken Larson:
1. do not promise what they cannot deliver
2. do not overextend their resources and get a reputation for poor performance.
3. do not tell the customer what he or she wants to hear. They tell them what they need to know and the customer respects them for it.
4. network constantly on professional sites such as Quora and accumulate an "Expert" rating from peers in their field.
5. blog like there is no tomorrow. A blog is quite different than a web site. They provide good, solid information free of charge and use blog searches for synergistic businesses to team with. Teaming is an absolute necessity these days.
6. are prepared to provide information, samples and valuable service gratis as a marketing tool. Introducing themselves and engaging the client with presentation tools available to bring their expertise to whatever topic the client is interested in. They let the client them take them where they want to go with their concerns and their needs. They apply presentation tools and expertise dynamically on the fly in a sincere manner to those concerns and needs and they are in demand for follow up business.
7. quote and bill what the client can afford and grow with the client (in content and resources).
8. are dedicated to working themselves out of a job with a specific customer and having the client take over by training him. He will remembers them and recommends them to 10 others.
9. remember growth is a function of persistence and foresight. They know where their market is headed and get their first – then they write and speak about your success indirectly by helping others. They demonstrate humility and a satisfaction in helping others succeed. Clients find ways to give them credit. They know there are ways of tooting their horn without making peoples' lights go out.
10. They understand word of mouth advertising from pleased clients is a sure ticket to success.